Summer Fun

Memorial Day has passed and it’s officially June. I think it’s safe to say that summer is here, complete with the typical Bay Area summer of cold, rainy weather (that I love!).

I’m inspired to set some summer goals:

1. Eat More Vegetables

Since I started counting calories again, I’m able to get a clear view of what I’m eating – on a big picture scale. And what I’ve found is that I definitely don’t eat enough vegetables. With some of my favorite vegetables like asparagus and corn in season, now is the perfect time to load up on the good stuff!

2. Eat Less Sugar

So what I’ve also discovered is that I eat way more sugar than I should. With the exception of fruit, I’m going try really hard to make a concerted effort to cut back on processed sugar. I can tell you right now that fro-yo will be my weakness. I LOVE fro-yo during the summer. If I can limit myself to weekends, I’ll be happy.

3. Run at The Dish 1x/week

It’s a little out of my way to get there, especially during the Winter, so I’m going to take advantage of the longer Summer days and try to make it there at least once a week.

4. Strength Train 2x/week

Last night I did the Arm Definer workout on the Nike Training app and all I have to say is that I have zero upper body strength. This will change by the end of summer.

5. Practice Yoga 2x/week

I truly believe that my current aches and pains are a direct result of my 6-week hiatus from yoga. The class that I regularly go to is only offered once a week so I’m going to pull out my yoga DVD’s and try to get another session done at home – even if it’s just 20 minutes.

6. Call home 2x/week

This will make the parentals happy :)

I also made a Summer Bucket List; i.e., things I want to do this summer:

1. Run the Dish in each direction consecutively.

2. Learn how to stand-up paddle. Anyone want to sign up for lessons with me?

3. Run the Lyon Street Stairs. I have wanted to do this for years. This summer I will!

4. Read 2 books. This may sound easy to some, but it’ll be a huge accomplishment for me.

5. Take off some lbs. I’m not setting an exact target, but I am doing a little experiment regarding this. More on this later.

6. Run in Golden Gate Park. See #3 – same deal.

7 Responses to Summer Fun

1. Pingback: Stand-Up Paddleboarding | The Tao of Me

2. Anonymous says:

If you really want some long uphills, I could take you to Rancho San Antonio too! But I it’s trails and I know how you feel about trails…

3. Roadbunner says:

Ooh, I like some of your goals. I am currently trying to eat more veggies, too. I am horrible at that ;( I’ve been throwing stuff into my pasta water which is about all I can handle at this point.  I am reallyl intrigued by this Dish.  My next marathon, the first 13 miles are all uphill so I am really looking to do some dedicated hill training the next few months.  I’m trying to run Strawberry Hill in GGP (which is about a half a mile runnable but fairly steep incline).  Let me know and I’ll join you at the Dish one day!  If we’re ever in Hawaii at the same time, I’d try the stand up paddling with you.  It is way to cold around here for me to consider it :P

4. Layla says:

I’ve never heard of the Lyon Street stairs but my running buddy just moved to Lyon Street so let me know if tag-alongs are allowed! I’d love to check those out. Same goes for the park. And mayyybe I’d look into this paddling thing.

5. Anonymous says:

core fusion is amazing! i have another dvd still to try and i can’t wait!

6. Anonymous says:

i guess i should clarify – i want to build more lean muscle and less fat. i’m reading a book that talks about finding your ideal racing weight and i honestly think i would run with more ease and less injury if i was a few lbs lighter and had more muscle. more to come on this later this week!

7. Jess says:

These are great goals! Is that why you pulled out that Core Fusion yoga DVD?? It’s a goodie :-)
    I’m surprised you think you need to take off some lbs my dear – you are so fit and strong! Are you suuuure you aren’t being too hard on yourself (yes, bloggy friend protectiveness coming in, per the usual!)! xo