How I Spent the 4th of July Weekend

Friday Night

Went to the movies and saw this:

Instead of theatre food, we snuck sushi into the theatre. I’m sure the people around me loved smelling my spicy tuna rolls, but way better than the gross nachos they serve there, right? However, my cousin did get some popcorn and I ate a few using chopsticks – a first for me, but you know what? It worked – my hands didn’t get dirty at all! :)

The movie itself was okay. I think we all know it isn’t going to win any Academy Awards, but it was entertaining – for the most part. I was just so happy to be in air conditioning.

Saturday

Had dinner at the Yard house, a favorite restaurant that I frequent when I’m in Arizona. They just opened one at Santana Row in San Jose. I had a Shrimp Caesar salad (sans dressing), then indulged in this:

{kona coffee ice cream sundae – my absolute favorite ice cream flavor!}

Which quickly turned into this:

Don’t worry, I shared it with my cousin and we scraped off the whipped cream. This was my one indulgence for the weekend.

After dinner we went to the HP Pavilion where I revisited my 8th grade self and saw these guys:

We had bought our tickets for this show 7 months ago, but I had forgotten all about it and wasn’t even sure of the exact date until about a week ago. I felt so lackadaisical going into the evening, but once NKOTB came on stage, it was like 1989 all over again!

Back in 1999, I wasn’t as crazy about BSB as I had been about NKOTB, but I still knew all of their tunes, which made it one of those great shows where I could sing just about every song!

My photos and videos turned out terrible, but here’s some vids that I found online…

…And yes, their songs have been added to my running play list! :)

Sunday

It wouldn’t be a proper weekend without a run, now would it?

For the second weekend in a row, I got to meet up with my favorite Bay Area runners/bloggers/tweeters.

{in front of the Conservatory of Flowers}

This time we met in the City for an almost 7-mile run around Golden Gate Park. This area of the City is usually foggy, but on this day we were punished with “stupid heat.” It was waaay too warm, but somehow we made the ascent up to the infamous Strawberry Hill, a steep, half-mile corkscrew climb. It was more of a hike than a run up this hill for me, but we made it to the top!

{atop Strawberry Hill}

After our run we all headed to Genki Ramen for lunch!

Half of us are obsessed with ramen. It’s my typical dinner on nights before a long run, but some of the other girls swear it’s the perfect post-run meal. Either way works! And in case you haven’t heard of ramen before, here’s what it looks like:

{noodles with vegetables or pork or chicken or seafood in broth}

I’m told that it’s kinda like pho (except I’ve never had pho) but with more flavor. Sooooo good!

Later that evening I went to a potluck family dinner. It’s impossible to eat healthy at these things because of spreads like this:

I couldn’t resist – I had a bit of everything but just in little portion sizes. Can I call that a win? Please?

Monday

After a crazy weekend, I needed some downtime and never left my house until we reconvened for a “leftovers” family dinner.

Fireworks weren’t coming on till way past my bedtime and I had to be up at 6 am for a 6-miler this morning so I called it a day and was in bed before the fireworks even started. I’m such a party animal, aren’t I?

Here’s to a short workweek – may it go by quickly!

14 Responses to How I Spent the 4th of July Weekend

1. Pingback: Weeks 27 & 28 | The Tao of Me

2. Rene says:

I’m getting hungry reading this!

3. Anonymous says:

Yes ma’am! Thanks again for organizing – I think we have started a trend!

4. Anonymous says:

I stuffed it in my backpack and they didn’t even question me! Ha!

5. Anonymous says:

Hahaha – it was a little weird to see them at first, but once they started singing their old songs, I just appreciated the talent they had. And good comparison on the sundae! :)

And I think we need to organize a group run the next time you are in town, don’t you think so?!

6. Anonymous says:

Bad Teacher was hilarious – I couldn’t believe how she was able to run in those high heels!

7. Anonymous says:

I would have *loved* to see Spice Girls, how fun! We definitely missed you but I’m sure there will be many more Ramen Runs in the future!

8. Anonymous says:

Weren’t the videos great?!? We definitely need to schedule some pizookie time – maybe Sunday after running?

9. Alyssa says:

Pho is FLAVORLESS compared to ramen. It’s so boring and simple!! I prefer a nice hardly bowl of noodles (instead of bean sprouts). Save your money and keep eating ramen.

You had a great weekend — thanks so much for meeting up on Sunday! :)

10. Jess says:

looove the idea of sushi in the movie theatre. I am TOTALLY stealing that one!!

11. jobo says:

Ha! That is awesome about the concert! Watching those videos totally brought me back too. Though it IS a little weird that grown men around our age (ish) are dancing around like they are still a boy band of the 18 year old variety but I digress ;-) I would have gone if I scored tix! And that ice cream sundae looks like sex in a bowl…YUMMMMM!! And I WANT RAMEN! clearly I am now in craving city  (and ps you made some good choices this weekend go you!)

12. steena says:

whoa, total weekend awesomeness!  I also saw Bad Teacher, it was funny!  I was thoroughly entertained.
    Um, that icecream looks way too good, I would eat a gallon of that, haha, maybe not, but still, I would stuff my face!
    How fun that you got to meet up with a bunch of DM/tweeters for a run!

13. That looks so fun! I wish I could have made the run, sad I missed it :(

so cool you went to the concert. I went to the spice girls reunion show and it was amazing. :)

14. Audrey Mendoza says:

LIKE LIKE LIKE THIS WHOLE POST!!! But most especially the sundae and NKOTBSB. I still want to try that sundae some day… and we still need to schedule a pizookie time :)