Back into the Groove

After the race I was on vacation for a week; a vacation from everything – from work, from home, even from working out and caveman eating! Yes, I took a break from it all… I enjoyed sleeping in (that would be 7:30 am for me); eating processed foods like bread, rice and pasta and even a drumstick ice cream cone.

But at least I wasn’t completely lazy!

I took Chippy out for walks...


Went kayaking for the very first time...


and even managed to squeeze in a 5k run on the 4th of July. I had a great time in the PacNW!

Before I knew it, vacation was over and it was time to come back to reality. I had every intention of resuming my caveman eating and workouts as soon as I got back to town, but I had some unexpected issues to tend to which set me back a few days.

Now that life is slowly returning to normal, I was able to get back to the gym this morning for my 6 am Body Pump class. It’d been two months since I’d been there!

Before my hamstring injury, I was at the gym every weekday morning at 6 am for Kickboxing/Core, Free Weights, Spin, Body Pump, and Body Step classes. I never missed a day because I was afraid that if I missed even one, I’d get lazy and never go.

Then I got injured and couldn’t go. At first I was devastated, but in hindsight, it was a blessing in disguise. I was working out way too much. In addition to the 6 am classes, I spent the evenings going on runs and taking even more classes like Yoga and Body Combat. It was inevitable that my body would break down at some point.

I also didn’t realize how mentally exhausted I was; constantly thinking of my next workout. Being injured forced me to rest my body and learn about other things - like the importance of nutrition and how to build my own blog!

Although I probably could have returned to the gym sooner, I didn’t want to risk re-aggravating my injury before the race. Now that the race is over, I was ready to return.

I’m not going to lie to you; it was hard to get up at 5 am. I woke up, had a half-cup bowl of Erin Baker’s Oatmeal Granola and then went back to bed. I was so tempted to just stay there, but last night, before I went to bed, I sent a text message to my friend Yvette (who goes to the 6 am classes and also ran the Seattle RnR Full Marathon in 4 hrs 5 mins!) to tell her I was going to be there. I purposefully did that to make myself accountable to go!

Yvette and some of the other ladies from my gym class have been so supportive during my injury, often emailing me to offer support and encouragement. It’s important to have a support network! It was so great to see them all again this morning!

Today’s class was a Les Mills’ Body Pump class. It’s a choreographed weights class that works the entire body. I hadn’t done any weights or upper body work in two and a half months that I was out so it felt good to the blood flowing again! I’m already hurting. My thighs, chest and triceps are killing me, but it’s the “good kind of hurt.”

I’ve learned my lesson and I’m not going to kill myself with a crazy workout schedule anymore. I’m going to run on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays and limit my 6 am classes to weights on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I also start swim classes next week (very excited about that)! And I’m sure I’ll alternate my activities to fit in yoga and spin every now and then, but no more than one workout a day with a complete rest day once a week.

I’m trying to decide when my next race is going to be. I was trying to decide between Vegas and Phoenix, but the San Jose RnR has suddenly become an option. No matter which race is next, I’m determined to be injury free and physically balanced for it!