The question was posed to me:
"If you could have one day to be anybody, past or present, real or fictional, who would it be?"
Wow. The possibilities are endless. How can I pick just one person? Well, I can't, so I picked five (in no particular order):
1. Oprah: She has a top-rated, long-running television show with the star power to single-handedly control such things like the Best-Seller List. She has a magazine, radio network, oh and she's mega-loaded. But, she works hard and uses her successes to do good. She's built neighborhoods for victims of Hurricane Katrina, built a school to educate children in South Africa and most of all, uses her tv show to educate millions of people on health, finances, politics, world issues, yet also produces shows that celebrate life, art, music and culture. She uses her stature and position to make a difference in the world and in the lives of individual people.
If I had the opportunity to be here for one day, I would use her resources - monies and media outlets - to continue to do the exact same things she does today. Oh and of course, I would also use her resources to have a most fabulous vacation to Italy, purchase the most glam wardrobe and have the most luxurious spa day ever! :)
2. Anna Wintour: Speaking of glam wardrobes, I would want to be Anna Wintour so that just for one day, I could be the woman who defines what a glam wardrobe is. She is the Editor-in-Chief at Vogue. She has single-handedly jump-started the careers of young designers like Marc Jacobs and Derek Lam. She controls the fashion world and just think of all the free stuff she gets from designers!
3. Carrie Bradshaw/Samantha Jones/Charlotte York/Miranda Hobbs: Yes, these are the girls from Sex and the City. How great are they?!? First of all, they live in the best city in the world - New York! And secondly, they have such great friendships with each other - able to share everything - sometimes more than one needs to know! But I couldn't just pick one and I'm not picking all four; rather, I'm picking a little bit of each character:
Carrie - for her ability to write creative and interesting articles for her column (aka blog in print), her fantastic shoe collection and most of all - she ends up with Big (who was my favorite going back to his days as Mike Logan on Law and Order...)!
Samantha - for her audacity, fearlessness and lack of inhibition. She is able to say whatever is on her mind. And she has a dream PR job.
Charlotte - I'm not into the art scene, so I can't relate to that, but I love her optimism, class and elegance. And her Park Avenue apartment. What can I say, I'm an Upper-East Side kinda of gal....
Miranda - this is the character I probably relate to the least but I love her sarcasm and awkwardness because deep down we all have a little bit of it.
I guess this is why this show was so popular...other than the obvious, its because we can see a little bit of ourselves in each character.
P.S. Anthony was my most favorite character of all....
4. The founders of Google: I can't even remember their names but what I would give to be them! A bunch of nerdy engineers from Stanford who founded this mega billion dollar company that exploded post dot-com era. Dammit! I don't even have to explain why I would want to be them. Enough said.
5. My Younger Self: I never appreciated the three whole months of summer vacation, or the two weeks of Christmas vacation, or the one week of Spring Break, or Election Day, Veterans Day, and all the other holidays kids get.
As a kid, all you want to do is grow up. Fast. But if I knew then what I know now, I would have savored every minute of not having debt, not having to go to a job working for the man, not having any real responsibilities. I'd take full advantage of the free home-cooked meals, gas paid by someone else, ...and on and on and on. I wouldn't even have minded the chores I had to do back then - clean the bathroom, water the lawn, wash dishes. Heck if that's all the responsibilities I had, bring it on! I never knew how great life was back then.
I wish I could go back just for one day. I'd spend my one day sleeping in at Grandma Jean's house, then having her make me pancakes for breakfast (I've never had any others as good as hers), ride my bmx through the corn field, then have Grandma make me tuna patties for lunch and pack for me to take to the beach with my friends and spend the rest of the day fishing and swimming in the ocean. Ah, that was the life.
So there you have it. Now let me ask you, who would YOU want to be - just for 1 day?