Yesterday was a bad, bad day and it got progressively worse as the day went on. It got to the point where everything just annoyed me. Usually when I get like this I'll listen to music as a pick-me-up, but I just wasn't interested.
I started to feel better when I volunteered at the House last night...that is until one of kids spilled paint on my handbag. Thankfully it was washable paint, and I kept my cool, even though I was screaming on the inside. I went to bed still annoyed and not surprisingly, didn't sleep well. I woke up just before 4 am and ended up watched last night's season premiere of the Biggest Loser.
I love this show. It never fails to motivate me. In fact, its another reason I decided to train for a marathon. If these contestants can do it, there's no reason why I can't. The Last Chance Workouts inspire me like nothing else, so instead of giving in and going back to bed, I forced myself to the gym for my strength & core conditioning classes.
As I drove to the gym, the song "Circus", by Britney came on my iPhone. Yes, its a favorite (don't judge). There's a line in the song that says, "I am the ringleader, I call the shots..." It was an epiphany. That single line, that I've heard a thousand times, made me snap out of my funk. I came to the realization that I control how I feel. I can choose to feel annoyed or I can choose not to be. Its up to me.
So as I died through spiderman crawls and push-ups, instead of cursing up a storm in my head, I made a mental list of the things I am thankful for and that make me happy. Some of these things are trivial, but indulge me, it was formulated mid-workout...most random list ever:
- The Clarisonic: my sister is a consultant for Sephora and she gave me the Clarisonic for Christmas.
I have been obsessing over it all week. It makes my skin feel so clean and smooth. The closest my face has ever come to feeling like this is by running ice cubes over my face (a little tip I got from an esthetician). As my sister says, "I never leave home without mine...everyone needs to have one."
- My new blender: another Christmas present. The Magic Bullet worked great for the past 2 years, but its run its course...it was time to upgrade. All I could think about during my workout was going home and having a strawberry-banana-peanut butter-chocolate milk smoothie.
- Recovery breaths.
- The massage that I am going to get at work today. A perk at work is having a massage therapist come to the office on Wednesdays. My tennis elbow has flared up again (I swear its from overuse of my iPhone) and I can't wait to get it worked on.
- The others in class who are also dying with me. Makes me feel less of a wimp.
- The bridge pose so I can have more recovery breaths.
- My friends who patiently listen to me gripe and complain.
- The Instant Button for Jeans: after the holiday gluttony, I am thankful had to use this yesterday, I hope to have to use it more.
- Grape Propel - my workout drink of choice.
Random, I told you...but I emerged from my workout with a better attitude and higher spirits. I'm determine to carry it on through for the rest of today - even if it kills me.