One of the main reasons I write a blog is to journalize things that I want to remember. This week’s marathon, my first one, was definitely a significant event in my life so indulge me while I break up this recap of the experience into multiple posts to record every detail that I can remember.
I am overwhelmed by the amount of support I received during this experience. Not only from my family, friends and people in my real life, but also from my friends on:
Twitter: People like MsV1959: She gave me so much support and encouragement. She's amazing, and an inspiration to me (despite being a Dodger fan - LOL). She also introduced me to my new coach, Speedy Sasquatch, who I'm so excited to work with.
Daily Mile: See how awesome these people are?!
I have not met most of these people in real life, but they motivate, teach and inspire me every day. For every weirdo there is on the Internet, there's about 500 good people, quality people.
I am so appreciative of all the well wishes and congratulations. Every single one meant so much to me. You all believed in me more than I believed in myself.
There are a few who's words had special meaning to me, for a number of reasons. I want to capture them here so I can remember them whenever I need some encouragement.
Before the race, when I was really nervous:
* "Be strong! You can do it!"
* "Girl....you are an inspiration to me. I remember our talks in the restroom at work and you saying that you're not sure about how far you can run. I have run five half marathons and several 10Ks yet have not had the courage to run a full marathon. You have come a long way in such a short time. Just remember that....focus on your drive and strength and you will run this marathon and achieve what most people have not. You go, girl!"
* "Just think, one mile down is closer to the finish."
* "You got it!! Your race will be LEGENDARY!! Enjoy it ;)"
* "I have a feeling you're going to have an amazing race!"
During the race, as I was dying:
* Half The Way There* by Three O'Clock...you got this! ♫ http://blip.fm/~p9al7
* "You're almost there!! Eye of the tiger!!!"
* "Stretch.. ease up..and get some fluids in you.. you can DO IT!!!"
* "Run, Run!! Don't give up! I would've though, but you shouldn't!"
And after the race, when it was all said and done:
* "No one said it's easy! but you did it!"
* "Try not to beat yourself over on what ifs. I did that. Congrats again! :-)"
* "Relish it!! You earned it!! Hard work got you to that finish line!"
* "Congratz!!! Now onwards to triathlon!!!!"
* "All the struggles makes it that much more of a rewarding finish."
* "Less than 1% of Americans can do it! Makes you an Elite Athlete!!"
And my two ultimate favorites:
* From my colleague who's a marathoner himself:
* From my favorite cousin, Chip: