The Real First Day of the New Year

Although today was January 3rd, technically, it was the "real first day of the New Year." , as in the first work day after the Staycation. Actually, I wasn't dreading it as much as I thought I would; I was looking forward to getting back to my regular routine. Last night I planned out what today's schedule was going to be:

- Wake up at 5 am - Go to the 6 am Bikram Yoga class - Shower and get ready in the locker room at the office - Work - 4-mile run after work at the high school track

Then I spent a good 40 minutes packing my yoga bag, a shower bag, my work and lunch bags, then another bag with my run gear. I set all 5 bags at the door, set my alarm, and then was lights out by 9:30 pm.

When the alarm went off at 5 am I thought I was dead. It truly *hurt* to get up that early. I don't drink coffee, but I imagine that must be what coffee drinkers feel like in the morning. It surprised me - I'm naturally an early riser, but I guess I had grown accustomed to waking up after 7 am. I did not realize how hard it would be to get back to a 5 am wake up call.

I finally stumbled out of bed around 5:20 am and made it to the kitchen. I made myself a bowl of cereal, then stumbled back to bed. I thought to myself, "Am I crazy?” then booted up my laptop and rescheduled myself from the 6 am Bikram class to the 12 pm Yin Yoga class. I put my cereal on the floor (don't worry, I eat my cereal dry), turned off the lights and went back to sleep for another hour. Another much needed hour.

*Sigh* - I guess "Day 1" of the New Year turned out to be "practice."

At the end of the workday (BTW, I did make it to the lunch time Yin Yoga class), I changed to my running gear and turned on my Garmin to program today's speed workout. It beeped 10% battery life even though I had it on the charger last night. Blah. I decided that I could still do the workout on guesstimations without a watch so I drove to the track.

This time of year I usually become an evening track runner because the track has lights, and it's also a good time to change up the terrain. And now that I'm doing more stair running, I had also hoped to run some bleachers. Well I should have checked the high school web site first because when I got there, I found the track closed for a soccer game. Blah again.

There are 2 other high schools in the area, neither of which have lights but I figured I still had small window of time to get to one of them and get my run done before the sun completely set. But I got stuck in traffic, it got dark and I didn't have my headlamp with me.

By then I decided that the universe was working against me and tonight's run was just not meant to be.

So I came home and rode the Bike Trainer for an hour (which was on tomorrow morning's schedule). In its place will be another (and final) attempt at the 4-mile workout. Whether it will be on a treadmill or track (at 6 am) is still TBD, but I am determined that it will happen and I will conquer the temptation for more sleep.

I'm chalking up today to be "baby steps" towards getting back into the swing of things, and lesson learned, it's always good to have a Plan B.